This article that also contains a video is dated May 2, 2012 and found on the TPM Muckraker website. The article discusses legal action being taken by the ACLU and other organizations to fight the voter ID law here in Pennsylvania. The goal of the ACLU is to get the law overturned on the grounds that it is unconstitutional based on the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. They are hoping to go to trial in June based on a segment I watched on PCNtv.com that time frame was done to both give the defendants time to prepare their case, and also so that there is hopefully enough time to finish things up before the November election.
While I know this article is not specific to the mental health community, I do know that the voter id law is one that will have an impact on the mental health community.
I would urge you to try to get a photo id if you don’t have one if you plan on voting in November. From what I understand it can take up to 3 to 4 months to get your birth certificate so now is the time to be getting it if you don’t have a photo ID with your picture, current address, and an expiration date.
I have never been supportive of the voter suppression act, but since it is in place, even though there are people preparing to battle against it in the courts, it’s wise to get your ID just incase the court decides the law isn’t unconstitutional. It’s one of those ‘hoping for the best but preparing for the worst’ kind of scenarios.
- ACLU, NAACP file suit against voter-ID law (wnd.com)
- 93-year-old woman will be lead plaintiff in case against voter ID (thegrio.com)
- Why We Fight: Because GOP Wants To Keep Viviette Applewhite from Voting (crooksandliars.com)
- ACLU of Pennsylvania Files Suit Against Voter ID Law (paulburkhart.wordpress.com)
- ACLU sues Pennsylvania over voter ID law (pennlive.com)
- ACLU Files Lawsuit To Overturn Pa. Voter ID Law (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Plaintiff In Voter ID Lawsuit Has Fought For Years To Prove Her Identity (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- ACLU says there’s no proof of voting fraud in Pa., wants ID law blocked before election (pennlive.com)
- Pa. voter ID law challenged in court (whptv.com)
- ACLU Sues to Overturn PA Voter Restriction Law (beavercountyblue.org)