Video Link This video was uploaded to YouTube on October 3, 2012 by IWKHealthCentre. The video is a Canadian video, but I felt that the message was one that is universally necessary to be heard, not just in Canada, but in the United States and I assume many other places in the world as well. The example of a visit to the emergency room for a mental health crisis vs. going to the emergency room for a broken ankle is something I’ve experienced first hand here in Pennsylvania, in my case it wasn’t a broken bone, but rather sprained knees as a result of sports related injuries, but still there was a difference in how I was treated before and after my mental illness was disclosed.
- Secret suffering as mental health stigma silences anxious voices (terrymadeley.com)
- It’s time to tackle mental health stigma in our classrooms (schoolsimprovement.net)
- Handbook to combat stigma of mental illness (todayonline.com)
- “Patrick Kennedy: “We need a different attitude on mental illness”” (pamhi.wordpress.com)
- Overcoming Stigma (aaramblog.com)
- Work and the Mentally Ill : An All Too Common Problem (bipolarlessons.com)