• Categories

Some articles about Food Stamps in other states

Article Link – “Kansas wants to ban welfare recipients from seeing movies, going swimming on government’s dime”

Article Link – “Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood”

My personal thoughts as it pertains to what should or should not be allowed to be purchased with food stamps is as follows.

Items I can completely understand banning the ability to buy using food stamps include …

  • chips, pretzels, cookies, candy
  • carbonated beverages (i.e. coke, Pepsi) or powdered drink mixes (i.e. kool aid type beverages)
  • fruit or vegetable drinks (the ones that have almost no real juice in them and are packed full of junk)

Items I feel could be exempt from this ban and why ….

  • Ginger ale – my reason is simple, it is something that if you are sick and throwing up, it can help to settle your stomach and aid in getting fluids into you.  I would however be ok if there was a limit of X number of bottles per month to prevent people from drinking it as their only beverage day in and day out.
  • Gatorade could also be exempt, because it is something doctors will suggest parents give kids who have vomited to try to balance their electrolytes, but like the ginger ale I do see a limit of X number of bottles as a reasonable compromise
  • Bottled iced tea that lacks artificial sweeteners, flavors or preservatives.  tea is something that does offer health benefits as long as it isn’t filled with junk
  • canned tuna … this one is on my list of exemptions because it offers nutritional value and while yes it is a sea food, it is also very inexpensive coming in at $1 or less per can I also added it because of Missouri’s article about banning seafood
  • Bottled water … yes I know that bottled water is an ecological nightmare, but I also know that water is essential to every human’s ability to live.  Some places  have water that is ok for bathing, but because of the high mineral content is really horrible for drinking.  I also know that it seems like a lot of people who receive food stamps tend to either walk or rely on public transportation to get places, and bottled water is easy to carry in these situations. Not to mention I’ve heard time and time again that most people don’t drink enough water so making it available as one of a handful of bottled beverages seems appropriate
  • real fruit or vegetable juices made with a minimum of 90% juice from real fruit or veggies the remaining 10% could be water and if needed because of tartness of the juice, a little sugar, but not so much that the sugar increases the calories to an unhealthy level.  My reasoning for this one is that Americans tend to not get as many servings of fruits and vegetables in their diet as they should.  And allowing healthy juices that aren’t packed with garbage fillers could aid people with getting these into their diet.
  • Ice cream also not containing a ton of garbage filler ingredients could be exempt but maybe include a limit of x number of gallons per month.  this would allow an alternative to drinking milk for getting dairy into their diet and allow people the ability to serve ice cream for birthdays or other special occasions.
  • birthday cake could be limited to a certain size of cake and maybe limited to no more than 1 cake per family member in the household … this would allow for cake to be served for birthdays for each person in the household.  I feel that even people on welfare should be allowed to have something special once in a while and birthdays are a time of celebration and kids especially should be allowed to celebrate their birthday with a little cake and ice cream … adults might enjoy cake and ice cream also.  Cake could be defined as a cake mix or ready to serve cake from a bakery.



“This Philadelphia government agency means $4 billion to the city’s economy, study claims”

Article Link

This April 6, 2015 article on the Philadelphia Business Journal website talks about a study done by the Scattergood Foundation that shows that for every $1 spent on Behavioral Health in Philadelphia, $2.50 is generated that is put back into the city.  The article briefly explains how this happens.

%d bloggers like this: