This May 12, 2015 article on the Human Rights Watch website talks about the abuse of power often used in handling mentally ill inmate that leads to injuries and even death because of what amounts to minor infractions of the rules or orders given to them. One example in the article is about a woman who was not given her medication while she was incarcerated and at one point refused to change her jumpsuit and ended up being tasered multiple times within a matter of a few short minutes.
- Mentally ill inmates abused in 5,000 US detention centers (rinf.com)
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates across nation is “callous and cruel”, says Human Rights Watch (pennlive.com)
- What It’s Like To Treat The Mentally Ill In An Abusive Prison (thinkprogress.org)
- Police Assault Mentally Ill Homeless Man in LA (soulbrotherspeaks.com)
- US human rights report: Mentally ill prisoners abused (stuff.co.nz)
- Human Rights Watch decries US prison system’s use of force against mentally ill | US news | The Guardian (theguardian.com)
- New Study: Inmates Suffering From Mental Illness Routinely Abused by Prison Guards (marketsanity.com)