This January 28, 2014 NPR: The Salt article talks about the domino effect that occurs as temperatures drop causing heating bills to rise and for some a shortage of food because they have to shift money from their food budget to their heating budget leaving more people turning to food banks for help.
- Food Stamp Cuts, Cold Weather Put Extra Strain On Food Pantries (npr.org)
- Bitter cold and aid cuts putting pressure on families and food banks (theconscientiousomnivore.wordpress.com)
- More New Yorkers Turning To Food Pantries (wnyc.org)
- Children, Seniors Straining NY Food Pantry Resources (publicnewsservice.org)
- After feds cut food stamps, city pantries go empty (crainsnewyork.com)